The placement of the hardware components in a cabinet follows these general cabinet build conventions:
- All chassis except the top Ethernet switches are loaded from the front of the cabinet, and accessible from both front and rear of the cabinet. The top Ethernet switches are loaded and accessible only from the rear of the cabinet.
- Each chassis has a standard position in the cabinet, and is numbered from the bottom up.
- Chassis can be managed, monitored, or unmanaged.
- Managed chassis are connected to the primary server management network by an Ethernet port on the chassis. Chassis with a second Ethernet port are connected to the secondary server management network. Managed chassis are actively monitored by server management and allow service personnel to manage various chassis functions through SMWeb Services.
- Monitored chassis are connected to server management through a customer network and are subject to customer network configuration and availability. Monitored chassis are actively monitored by server management but service personnel cannot manage chassis functions through SMWeb Services.
- Unmanaged chassis are not connected to the primary or secondary server management networks. The chassis are not monitored by server management and service personnel cannot manage chassis functions through SMWeb Services.
- Chassis that are managed or monitored over the server management network have assigned chassis ID numbers. The chassis ID number identifies the chassis by position/type in the server management interface.
- Unmanaged chassis can be numbered by position for cabling purposes only. If numbered, the numbers do not appear in the server management interface as identification of the chassis.
- Hadoop cabinets have a variety of configurations. The number and type of chassis in a base or expansion cabinet depends, in part, on the type of power used for the Hadoop cabinet. Cabinet builds in the following sections are divided into type A power and type B, C, or D power. For definitions of these power types, see the Platform Features Summary in the Product and Site Preparation Guide.
The following cabinet build illustrations are representative of typical configurations.