Teradata Vantage™ is our flagship analytic platform offering, which evolved from our industry-leading Teradata® Database. Until references in content are updated to reflect this change, the term Teradata Database is synonymous with Teradata Vantage.
The diagram illustrates the initial release of Vantage, which enabled our customers to leverage all of their data, all of the time, so they can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to their business. At a high-level, Vantage consists of the following components.
Datastore: The file system that helps isolate Vantage from hardware platform dependencies and supports the creation and maintenance of database tables under the direction of Vantage. The file system stores data in physical format.
The high-speed fabric ties the processing technologies together. On Teradata IntelliFlex®, it is the BYNET on InfiniBand, running the BYNET protocol. On a public cloud deployment such as AWS and Azure, it is the network switching fabric used by that environment.
- Teradata NewSQL Engine: It is a core of Teradata Vantage, based on our best-in-class Teradata Database processing capability. NewSQL refers to the ability to run advanced analytic functions beyond that of standard SQL. At a high-level, the NewSQL Engine:
- Performs SQL-based analytics as was possible with Teradata Database
- Provides additional advanced analytics capability such as 4D Analytics, path and pattern analysis, scoring, and more
- Invokes Teradata Machine Learning Engine and Teradata Graph Engine functions
- Executes additional query optimization functions as existed in Teradata Database, such as Optimizer and Workload Management
- Machine Learning and Graph Engines: These optional Engines provide the ability to run over 180 built-in functions, previously available from Teradata Aster®. The functions include math and statistics, text analysis, sentiment analysis, clustering, path and patterns, decision trees, graph, and so on. They are invoked through the NewSQL Engine, using standard SQL.
As with the language support provided by Teradata Database, Vantage provides support for various languages including SQL, R, Python, SAS, and Java.
- BI visualization tools including Tableau, Qlik, and IBM Cognos
- Analytic tools including Dataiku and SAS
- Notebooks and IDEs including RStudio, Jupyter, and Teradata Studio
- Application framework such as Teradata AppCenter