Specifying an ST_Geometry column using the maxlength and INLINE LENGTH options
The following examples show different column data type specifications for ST_Geometry columns and describe how the geometry data is stored.
- Because there is neither a maxlength nor and INLINE LENGTH specified, maxlength defaults to approximately 16 MB and INLINE LENGTH defaults to approximately 10000 bytes. Any geometry that is less than or equal to 10,000 bytes will be stored directly in the row, otherwise it will be stored as a LOB.
- The maximum length of the ST_Geometry is 250,000 bytes. Since no INLINE LENGTH was specified, it defaults to 10,000 bytes. If this ST_Geometry is larger than 10,000 bytes, it will be stored as a LOB
- ST_Geometry(250000) INLINE LENGTH 4000
- The maximum length of the ST_Geometry is 250,000 bytes. Because there is also an INLINE LENGTH specified, if the geometry data is less than or equal to 4,000 bytes it will be stored inline, within a row, otherwise it will be stored as a LOB.
- Because the maximum length is specified without an INLINE LENGTH, and the maximum is less than the Teradata threshold for storing a column value as a LOB, the ST_Geometry values are always stored inline.
- ST_Geometry(8000) INLINE LENGTH 2000
- The maximum length of the ST_Geometry is 8,000, however, if it exceeds 2,000 bytes it will be stored as a LOB.
- ST_Geometry INLINE LENGTH 2000
- ST_Geometry values larger than 2,000 bytes will be stored as LOB values. The maxlength will be the maximum length possible, approximately 16 MB.