Use the following procedure to create the principal database administrator, DBADMIN. For sites that require multiple database administrators, create lower level administrative users who log on as individuals. Do not allow multiple users to log on as DBADMIN, which prevents the system from logging the actions of individuals.
- Log on to the database as user DBC.
- Create the database administrator:
CREATE USER DBADMIN FROM DBC AS PERM = perm_space PASSWORD = "temporary_password" [ DEFAULT DATABASE = DBADMIN ] [ PROFILE = AdminProfile ];
- The name of the database administrator user. You can specify a different username, but all the examples refer to the database administrator as DBADMIN.
- The owner of the space in which you create user DBADMIN.
- The space in bytes that contains all objects that user DBADMIN creates or owns. Because user DBADMIN creates and owns nearly all Vantagedatabases and tables, you should assign it the majority of space on the system.
- Recommendation: Specify approximately 60% of available system (DBC) space. For information on how to determine DBC space, see Creating the Spool Space Reserve.
- The temporary password for DBADMIN.
- Recommendation: Use any simple password that follows the default system password controls and site policy. Each user is prompted to change the temporary password to a permanent, private password at first logon.
- DEFAULT DATABASE = DBADMIN
- [Optional] The user or database that contains the space in which the SQL Engine stores or searches for new or target objects, unless the transaction SQL specifies a different database.
- Recommendation: Specify DBADMIN.
- PROFILE = AdminProfile
- [Optional] The name of the profile for DBADMIN.
- Recommendation: Enter AdminProfile, the profile you created for user DBADMIN in Creating the Database Administrator Profile.
|Information on...||Is available in...|
|Syntax and options for the CREATE USER statement||Teradata Vantage™ - SQL Data Definition Language Detailed Topics, B035-1184.|
|Guidelines for determining administrator space requirements and long term managing of space||Teradata Vantage™ - Database Administration, B035-1093.|
|Default password control values and how to change them||Managing Database Passwords.|