BIT_LENGTH ( string_expression [, character_set_name ] )
- The character string for which the number of bits is required.
- The data type of string_expression must be one of the following:
- CHARACTER or VARCHAR
- UDT that has an implicit cast to a predefined character type
To define an implicit cast for a UDT, use the CREATE CAST statement and specify the AS ASSIGNMENT clause.
Implicit type conversion of UDTs for system operators and functions, including OCTET_LENGTH, is a Teradata extension to the ANSI SQL standard. To disable this extension, set the DisableUDTImplCastForSysFuncOp field of the DBS Control Record to TRUE.
- If the string_expression argument is null, the result is null.
- The character set in which the result is returned. If character_set_name is not provided, the session character set is assumed.
- If the string _expression argument is NULL, the result is NULL.