With CREATE, GIVE, and DROP, you can transfer the permanent space of one database or user to another. This is particularly useful if you wish to transfer permanent space from a child of a child back to user DBC when user DBC is not the immediate owner. For information on dropping databases or users, see Dropping a Database or User. For information on transferring ownership of a database or user with GIVE, see Transferring Ownership with GIVE.
For example, assume the following hierarchy:
Also, assume that:
- F has a MAXPERM of 10, a MAXSPOOL of 50, and a MAXTEMP of 25.
- E has a MAXPERM of 10, a MAXSPOOL of 20, and a MAXTEMP of 15.
To increase permanent space for E:
- From space owned by F, create temporary database X with a MAXPERM of 5:
CREATE DATABASE X FROM F AS PERM = 5 ;
The default is to allocate to a new database the same spool and temporary space as its owning database, so MAXSPOOL for X defaults to 50 and MAXTEMP for X defaults to 25. The PERM allocation for X is taken from the space of its owning database; thus, the MAXPERM of F is reduced to 5.
- Give X to E by using the GIVE statement to transfer ownership:
GIVE X TO E;
- Drop X with the following statement:
DROP DATABASE X;
This increases the MAXPERM of E to 15.
The MAXSPOOL and MAXTEMP of E are unchanged at 20 and 15, respectively.