The upgrade timeline must account for all the activities that occur during the multiple phases of an upgrade. If your system has Business Critical support or is SWI entitled, consult with your Teradata CSR or open an incident to request a Teradata CSR call you to review documentation specific to the Teradata Database upgrade target and process to determine the set of activities required to upgrade your system. Major upgrades generally require more activities and consequently more time for preparation and execution.
High Density systems can take substantially longer to upgrade. Use the Estimator tool and review the output carefully to determine the approximate time.
This topic provides an overview of the types of activities that occur during the preparation, pre-operation activities, upgrade, and post-upgrade phases of an upgrade, to help you create a timeline for the upgrade. Not all activities are required for every upgrade; some activities are optional. More detailed information about these activities is included in subsequent chapters of this guide.
For specific step-by-step instructions on how to perform these activities, refer to the Teradata Database Upgrade Guide associated with your target release, operating system, and platform hardware.
One to Three Months Prior to the Planned Upgrade
- Open a Change Control incident and obtain a Change Control number
- Determine if the CMIC needs to be upgraded; if so, schedule the upgrade well in advance
- Implement an Open Teradata Backup solution, if not already implemented
- Install or upgrade to the latest set of required Teradata Tools and Utilities
- Upgrade firmware on all systems to the latest Teradata certified releases
- Examine the memory size of the nodes to determine if they meet the requirement for the target release
- Obtain the required software media
- Install or upgrade to the latest released version of TDput, PUTSRC, and PUTTools
- Run the following to determine whether the system and database are prepared for the upgrade:
- PUT System Readiness Check (SRC)
- Pre-Upgrade Preparation script (found in PUTTools package)
- Run the Cylinder Index Space Test
- Run SCANDISK and CheckTable to validate the structure of the database files and tables.
- Run the Upgrade Estimator tool to estimate the time required for the upgrade
- If running 3rd party applications on the TPA nodes, verify compatibility with the Teradata versions you are upgrading to
- If running any Teradata applications such as TCRM, verify compatibility with the Teradata version you are upgrading to
Any problems or issues found during this phase must be corrected or addressed. If changes to the system are required, you must allocate sufficient time to make these changes before performing the upgrade.
One Week Prior to the Planned Upgrade
- Consult with the system administrator to schedule system downtime, and notify users
- Run SCANDISK and CheckTable again, if not performed in the past 30 days
- Obtain sufficient tape media for a data archive
- Ensure sufficient free space is available in the node file system
- Ensure you have installed or upgraded to the latest version of TDput, PUTSRC, and PUTTools
One Day Prior to the Planned Upgrade
- Archive user data
- Save Crashdumps
Immediately Prior to the Upgrade
- Ensure all ETL operations are complete.
- Back up system disks
- Stop Replication Services
- Ensure you have installed or upgraded to the latest version of PUT
- Stop TDPs
During the Upgrade
- Install the latest drivers for the Host Channel Adapter
- Run the first phase of the PUT Install/Upgrade Software Operation
- Stop the Teradata Database
- Run the second phase of the PUT Install/Upgrade Software Operation
- Verify the upgrade succeeded and the status of the system
Immediately After the Upgrade
- Set MAXPERM for CRASHDUMPS database (major upgrades only)
- Perform any system-specific activities required by the upgrade
- Back up system disks
- Run SCANDISK and CheckTable again
- Resync MDS
- Restart Replication Services
- Enable Logons
- Enable TDPs
- Return the system to the users
- Run cleanup script
- Run an Asset Baseline Report