Teradata PT follows strict hierarchies for determining what character set is used:
- For communication sessions between Teradata PT and the Teradata Database, the following rules apply in the following order:
- User-Determined: The character set specified in the USING CHARACTER SET clause placed immediately before the DEFINE JOB statement is used above all other character set definitions.
- System Parameter Block (SPB): If no user-specified character set is specified, the character set is defined in the HSHSPB file on mainframe-attached systems or in the clispb.dat file on network-attached systems.
- Teradata Database: If neither of the above is specified, Teradata PT uses the
character set defined in the Teradata Database. This rule applies to the
following operators that communicate with the Teradata Database:
- SQL Inserter
- SQL Selector
- Data Transmission: If the character set is not specified in a job that uses the DataConnector operator, Teradata PT uses the platform default character set of ASCII or EBCDIC to export data to the Teradata Database.