Access modules are software modules that encapsulate the details of access to various data stores, for example, CD-R, CD-RW, tape (via DataConnector or FastLoad OUTMOD Adapter operators), subsystems (such as Teradata Database servers, IBM’s WebSphere MQ).
Access modules provide Teradata PT with transparent, uniform access to various data sources. Access modules isolate Teradata PT from the following:
- Device dependencies, for example, disk versus tape (only on mainframe) (embedded into the Teradata standalone utilities today)
- Data source/target location, for example, local versus remote
- Data store specifics, for example, sequential file versus indexed file versus relational table
Access modules can be used with the DataConnector operator to read from different types of external data storage devices.
The following access modules are supported. These access modules support only reading (importing) of data, not writing:
- Teradata Access Module for Named Pipes for Teradata PT allows you to use Teradata PT to load data into the Teradata Database from a UNIX system named pipe. A pipe is a type of data buffer that certain operating systems allow applications to use for the storage of data.
- Teradata Access Module for WebSphere MQ for Teradata PT allows you to use Teradata PT to load data from a message queue using IBM’s WebSphere MQ (formerly known as MQ Series) message queuing middleware.
- Teradata Access Module for JMS allows you to use Teradata PT to load data from a JMS-enabled messaging system using JMS message queuing middleware
- Teradata Access Module for Kafka is a shared library that acts as an interface between Teradata Parallel Transporter loading and exporting operators and the Kafka Server. The access module can be used to import data from the Kafka Server and to export data to the Kafka Server.
- Teradata Access Module for Amazon S3is a shared library that acts as an interface between the Teradata Parallel Transporter load/unload operators and Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service). The Teradata Access Module for Amazon S3 can be used to export data from Amazon S3 and to import data to Amazon S3.
- Teradata Access Module for Microsoft Azure is a shared library that acts as an interface between the Teradata Parallel Transporter load/unload operators and Microsoft Azure. The Teradata Access Module for Microsoft Azure can be used to export data from Microsoft Azure and to import data to Microsoft Azure.
- Custom Access Modules. You can also create custom access modules to use with the DataConnector operator for access to specific systems.
For more information about creating and using custom access modules, see the Teradata Tools and Utilities Access Module Programmer Guide (B035-2424).