Teradata PT is an object-oriented client application that provides scalable, high-speed, parallel data:
These capabilities can be extended with customizations or with third-party products.
Teradata PT uses and expands on the functionality of the traditional Teradata extract and load utilities, that is, FastLoad, MultiLoad, FastExport, and TPump, also known as standalone utilities.
Teradata PT supports:
- Process-specific operators: Teradata PT jobs are run using operators. These are discrete object-oriented modules that perform specific extraction, loading, and updating processes.
- Access modules: These are software modules that give Teradata PT access to various data stores.
- A parallel execution structure: Teradata PT can simultaneously load data from multiple and dissimilar data sources into, and extract data from, Teradata Database. In addition, Teradata PT can execute multiple instances of an operator to run multiple and concurrent loads and extracts and perform inline updating of data. Teradata PT maximizes throughput performance through scalability and parallelism.
- The use of data streams: Teradata PT distributes data into data streams shared with multiple instances of operators to scale up data parallelism. Data streaming eliminates the need for intermediate data storage: data is streamed through the process without being written to disk.
- A single SQL-like scripting language: Unlike the traditional standalone utilities that each use their own scripting language, Teradata PT uses a single script language to specify extraction, loading, and updating operations.
- An application programming interface (API): Teradata PT can be invoked with scripts or with the Teradata PT set of open APIs. Using the Teradata PT open APIs allows third-party applications to execute Teradata PT operators directly. This makes Teradata PT extensible.
A GUI-based Teradata PT Wizard: The Teradata PT Wizard helps you generate simple Teradata PT job scripts.The 16.20 release of Teradata Parallel Transporter is the last release in which the Teradata PT Wizard is distributed.