When a password expires, the system:
- Allows an existing session for the user with the expired password to continue.
- Allows the user to log on one session after the user password expires, if the logon string contains the correct expired password. The system limits the session to the MODIFY USER statement, to allow the user to establish a new password. After the user modifies the password, the system permits normal SQL Engine activity in the session.
- Prevents access to the database when a user makes a second attempt to logon with an expired password.
- Provides the following methods to update an expired password, depending on the application through which the user logs on:
- Some applications prompt the user for a new password.
- For applications that do not support password prompts, most allow the user to submit a MODIFY USER statement to create a new password.
- For utilities such as MultiLoad that do not support MODIFY USER, the user must log off and log on again through a utility such as BTEQ that does support the statement.