Use the Space Usage portlet to track detailed space usage parameters, including available space, current usage, and peak usage for each space type, by database or user.
- Select the system you want to investigate and click Next.
- In the selection menu, select Database: By most space and click Next.
- Use the Database Total view to display
perm space usage for all databases that have assigned perm space. The following
columns may indicate perm space problems.
Parameter Description Actions Current Perm% Percentage of available perm space currently being used by each user and database. Consider allocating additional perm space to any user or database when it reaches 90% perm space usage. See Reallocating Perm Space to Resolve Space Issues. Peak Perm% The highest percentage of total available perm used by each user and database since the last reset (default 24 hours). Current Perm Skew% A measure of how the perm space for a database distributes across all AMPs. Higher percentages indicate uneven distribution. A high perm skew percentage indicates that one or more tables in the database is skewed, that is, it has a poorly designed primary index.If you think there is a space problem, you can click on a database name to display the Details view, which shows the current perm, peak perm, and skew% for each table in the database.
- Use the Users Over 85% Spool view to
display any users that have exceeded the safe range of spool usage since the
last reset.In some cases excess spool usage may be the result of poorly constructed queries rather than an actual shortage of spool.
Parameter Description Actions Current Spool% Percentage of available spool space currently being used by each user and database (list) Monitor regularly to determine whether certain users regularly exceed 85% spool.
- Use Query Monitor to track query activity for users exceeding the limit, to determine whether the excessive spool usage is caused by poorly constructed queries.
- Increase the spool space limit for users who need spool by modifying the user or applicable profile definition. See Increasing the Spool Space Limit for a User.
Peak Spool% Largest percentage of available spool space recently used by each listed user and database since the last reset (default 24 hours).