See the ALTER PROCEDURE (External Form) topic “When to Specify Unprotected Mode” in Teradata Vantage™ SQL Data Definition Language Detailed Topics , B035-1184 .
- EXECUTE PROTECTED
- Change the execution mode for the specified method from unprotected mode to protected mode.
- Change the execution mode for the specified method from protected mode to unprotected mode.
- Recompile the code source for the specified method, generate the object code, recreate the .so file, and distribute the file to all nodes of the system.
- The existing method object is replaced by the recompiled version.
- Recompile the method only. When you specify this option, a new dynamic linked library is not distributed to database nodes.
- When you load a method onto another platform of a different type, the system marks the method as not valid, and the method must be recompiled. If there are many methods in one database, you can save time by specifying the ONLY option for all recompilations to avoid having to generate and distribute a new library, until the last one is compiled in that database without the ONLY option.
Example: Changing the Protection Mode
The following ALTER METHOD request changes the protection mode for the method named polygon_mbr() from protected to not protected:
ALTER METHOD polygon_mbr() FOR SYSUDTLIB.polygon EXECUTE NOT PROTECTED;
Example: Recompiling a Method Object
The following ALTER METHOD request recompiles the specific method object named SYSUDTLIB.polygon_mbr:
ALTER SPECIFIC METHOD SYSUDTLIB.polygon_mbr COMPILE;