Due to the complexity of the Vantage on VMware deployment, all deployments are required to have a Teradata VMware Center of Excellence advisor work with your installation team. Before starting any planning, please contact your Teradata Account Executive to ask about ordering the Teradata Elastic Provisioning advisory service. This can be done at the same time as ordering your Teradata software license. See https://www.teradata.com/Consulting/Velocity.
Before the software can be installed, you need to do the following:
- Procure and/or assign dedicated hardware where Vantage on VMware will be hosted.
- Procure, install, and/or license a supported version of VMware ESXi on the assigned hardware.
- Prepare the host nodes by configuring access controls, virtual disks, datastores, and network connections.
- Have a Teradata customer portal account (https://support.teradata.com) to submit incidents and download software.
- Have a product license that entitles you to use Teradata software.
- Install the English language pack in your vCenter and Windows machine, and set English as the default language before Teradata Managed Services starts the installation.
This guide assumes you have the assistance of a Teradata delivery professional, and a solid understanding of virtualization, including experience with the following:
- Configuring BIOS and RAID hardware to prepare for installing Vantage on VMware.
- Managing vSphere, vCenter, and ESXi technology.
- Concepts such as standard switches, datastores, VM templates, .ova and .ovf files, and so forth.
- Physical and virtual network setup of hardware and VMware vSphere network objects.
- Software applications that access Vantage for development, testing, or production.
- Vantage configurations, including terminology.