You can temporarily attach a USB or CD-ROM device to a VM, for example, if you want temporary access to a dump drive.
- From the Tree View, expand the cabinet, and select the virtual machine to which you want to attach a device. You can select the CMIC, the SWS, or the Viewpoint virtual machine.
Do one of the following to open the guided procedure.
- Select Step 1. to display
- From the toolbar, click Attach Temporary Device to display Step 1.
- As instructed, attach the device to the host VMS, either by attaching the USB device, or by inserting a disk in to the CD-ROM drive.
- Click Next to display Step 2.
After the system retrieves the device, select it, and then select from one of the following options:
Option Description Read-write Allows the device to be accessed as a read/write device. If you select this option, it allows writing to a device that is configured to be writable; however, it does not make read-only devices writable.
The device might require exclusive access; that is, it cannot be attached to other virtual machines.
Read-only Allows read-only access to the device. It allows most devices to be attached to more than one virtual machine.
- Click Next to display Step 3.
- When the procedure reports that the device is available, use it as needed.
- When you are done with the device, click Next to detach the device.
- When Step 4 reports that the device was successfully detached from the virtual machine, remove the device from the USB port or CD-ROM drive.
- Click Close.