NOS enhancements for 17.10 are:
- SQL Syntax
- Introduced new system-level authorization object security model.
- Reduced minimal DDL syntax used for defining the NOS foreign table schemas.
- Reduced minimal DQL statements used for performing queries.
- Schema Discovery
- Removed manual and error prone schema discovery activities.
- Automated the discovery of file data formats, field delimiter, column names, column data types and sizes, and object store path definition.
- Error Diagnostics
- Expanded definitions providing more insight into error and warning messages.
- Expanded the Error Table framework to NOS foreign tables.
- Simplified CSV processing aligned with Parquet level performance.
- Reduced spool used for processing queries.
- Improved path filtering performance.
- Optimized TOP N query processing.
- READ_NOS now supports Parquet data in addition to CSV and JSON.
- Provides simpler SQL syntax for reading and writing of data living on object storage.
- Reduces the level of familiarity with the data living on object storage and accelerates data exploration.
- Provides better diagnostics capabilities when errors are encountered.
- Provides overall performance improvements.
- RETURNTYPE for READ_NOS has an additional argument, NOSREAD_SCHEMA. NOSREAD_SCHEMA returns the schema from sampling the first 16MB of data from the latest timestamp file from the LOCATION URL.
- The CREATE AUTHORIZATION syntax is updated with a USING clause to allow Azure Key Vault authentication.
For practical guidance and code samples, see Teradata Vantage™ Native Object Store - Advanced SQL Engine 17.0 (Orange Book). You must log in to view the Orange Book.For more information, see:
- Teradata Vantage™ - Native Object Store Getting Started Guide, B035-1214
- Teradata Vantage™ - SQL Data Definition Language Syntax and Examples, B035-1144
- Teradata Vantage™ - SQL Data Manipulation Language, B035-1146
- Teradata Vantage™ - SQL Operators and User-Defined Functions, B035-1210