The Unpack function unpacks data from a single packed column into multiple columns. The packed column is composed of multiple virtual columns, which become the output columns. To determine the virtual columns, the function must have either the delimiter that separates them in the packed column or their lengths.
Unpack complements the function Pack (SQL Engine), but you can use it on any packed column that meets the input requirements.
- To use Pack and Unpack together, you must run both on Advanced SQL Engine. Pack and Unpack are incompatible with ML Engine functions Pack_MLE and Unpack_MLE.
- This function requires the UTF8 client character set.
- This function does not support the following:
- Locale-based parsing with the SDF file
- Pass Through Characters (PTCs)
For information about PTCs, see Teradata Vantage™ - Advanced SQL Engine International Character Set Support, B035-1125.
- KanjiSJIS or Graphic data types