A specified set of distinct values in a column that is to be compressed to zero space.
See Database Design, B035-1094 for a detailed description of multivalue compression.
See SQL Data Types and Literals, B035-1143 for more information about the COMPRESS attribute.
- Specifies that nulls are compressed.
- You can only specify NULL once per column.
- Specifies that nulls and the value are compressed.
- Compressed constants are typically string literal. For numeric columns, constants have a numeric data type.
- The most space a numeric value can occupy is eight bytes.
- Using COMPRESS on fixed-length character data can save space depending on the percentage of rows for which the compressed value is assigned.
- See SQL Data Types and Literals, B035-1143 for information about limits for this value.