The IntelliFlex system can accommodate up to 18 groups using two second-tier, 36-port switches. This allows for up to 234 nodes.
Second-tier switches are located in cabinet 2 and cabinet 4 in systems with 10 to 18 groups.
When second-tier switches are used, each clique is considered a group, and the cabinets in the group connect to the same first-tier switches. The number of uplinks to each second-tier switch depends on the number of second-tier switches in use, which depends on the number of nodes and cabinets.
System Network Topology for an 18-Group IntelliFlex System
- The system consists of up to 18 groups, or up to 234 nodes.
- The first cabinet in each group contains IntelliFlex processing nodes.
- The other cabinets within each group may contain additional processing nodes.
- The first cabinet contains a system VMS for Server Management, and may contain additional channel servers, PE nodes, SAS HPA worker nodes, or TMSs.
- A cabinet VMS for Server Management is added for every 50 servers.
- Four ports on each of the first-tier InfiniBand switches are used to provide the uplink connections to the second-tier switches.
- The system uses two sets of 36-port second-tier switches. These second-tier switches are located in cabinet 2 and cabinet 4.
- Of the four uplink connections to the second-tier switches, two connect to each second-tier switch (for each fabric).
- When connected to a UDA network, the second-tier switches can be used for UDA connections. Distribute the UDA connections evenly across the pairs of second-tier switches for best performance.