- Define all domains and constraints.
- Identify all applications.
- Model application processing activities including their transactions and run frequencies.
- Model each transaction using the following information.
- Identify tables used.
- Identify columns required for value and join access.
- Estimate qualifying cardinalities.
- Summarize value and join access information across all transactions.
- Add data demographics to the Table Access Summary by Columns report.
- Table cardinalities
- Column value distributions (histograms)
- Column change ratings
The following table indicates the activities of this process and the forms required to complete each activity.
|1||Define all domains in the system.||Domains|
|2||Define all constraints for the system.||Constraints|
|3||Identify all applications in the system.||System|
|4||Model each identified application.||Application|
|5||Model each identified transaction.||Report/Query Analysis|
|6||Summarize all value and join accesses.|
|7||Transfer access information.||Table|
|8||Compile or estimate data demographic information.|
|9||Identify column change ratings.|
Note that row sizing calculations are covered in Row Size Calculation.