The Native Object Store (NOS) feature allows external data to be integrated into Teradata Vantage easily. You can create new foreign tables or use the new READ_NOS table operator to access this data as if it were native Vantage relational data.
- Allows Vantage to read and process external data using standard SQL. This can vastly speed extracting valuable business insights from external data.
- Use data from external storage without the need to manually copy the data to Vantage permanent storage from where it natively resides.
- Read data from various external sources, such as Amazon S3, Azure Blob storage (including Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 in Blob Interop Mode), and Google Cloud Storage.
- External data can be unstructured or semi-structured, stored in several formats, such as JSON, CSV, and Parquet.
- Join external data to existing relational data in Vantage for further processing by Teradata analytic functions.
- New CREATE FOREIGN TABLE statement and READ_NOS table operator can access external data. READ_NOS does not require the user to have CREATE TABLE database privileges.
- CREATE FOREIGN TABLE and READ_NOS can include authorization information for access to the external data. (Access to the authorization information can be limited by storing it in a function mapping that has limited access.)
- NOS is available only on Vantage delivered as-a-service platforms (such as Teradata Vantage on AWS, Teradata Vantage on Azure, and Teradata Vantage on Google Cloud).
- Currently supports JSON, CSV, and Parquet data formats.
- You cannot modify (INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE) data in foreign tables.
- You cannot use ALTER TABLE on foreign tables.
- BAR and DSA only archive the table definitions for foreign tables. Foreign data is not archived.
- New CREATE FOREIGN TABLE statement
- New FOREIGN optional keyword for DROP TABLE
- READ_NOS table operator
- New EXTERNAL SECURITY clause for CREATE AUTHORIZATION
- New EXTERNAL SECURITY clause for CREATE FUNCTION MAPPING
For more information about creating foreign tables and accessing external data, see Native Object Store: Teradata Vantage™ Advanced SQL Engine, TDN0009800, Teradata Vantage™ - SQL Data Definition Language Syntax and Examples, B035-1144, and Teradata Vantage™ - SQL Data Manipulation Language, B035-1146.