- Which requests are allowed to run
- How many requests with specific characteristics can be admitted into the system every hour/minute/second
- How many requests with specific characteristics can run at the same time
- What priority the requests should run in
- What Vantage does if a request behaves unexpectedly or uses too many resources
- How many system resources a request can consume
In a stable environment, one ruleset is all you need. After you create all rules in the main ruleset and activate it and test it, you might try out a new ruleset to see if it is an improvement. To do that, either activate the new ruleset or clone your existing ruleset to preserve original rules and then make changes. In either case, keep the old ruleset definition in case you need to return to it. Only one ruleset can be active at a time. Delete all rulesets you no longer need.
New SLES 11 and Teradata Data Warehouse appliances are delivered with the FirstConfig ruleset enabled. FirstConfig has basic throttle rules that ensure that users cannot overrun the system with requests. You will want to create a new ruleset adapted to the specific needs and goals of your business.