Continuous Availability for Teradata Vantage™ helps you achieve high-levels of availability by making systems peers thus reducing unplanned downtime and eliminating the need for recovery options or disaster recovery setups. When properly implemented, maintained, and operated, continuously available setups can achieve four-nines of availability, and enable recovery objectives (RPO and RTO) of near-zero.
Due to the complexity of a continuously available setup, the requirements around this design approach are strict and incur high costs. This solution is recommended for customers with Business Continuity plans with near-zero recovery objectives.
- Unity Active-Active
- Unity Loader
- Unity Director Loader
- Unity Managed Routing
Continuous Availability setups require a production environment, and one or more non-production environments running current generally available software releases that meet their respective system and compatibility requirements. Non-production environments should be representative of their production counterpart.
|Component||Production Environment||Pre-production Environment|
|Vantage SQL||2+ instances||2 instances|
|Unity||2 instances||2 instances|
|Multi-system Viewpoint||2 instances||1 instance|
|Data Mover1||2 instances||1 instance|
|QueryGrid 2.02||T2T implementation||Shared with production|
|BAR||Cross-site solution||Shared with production|
In addition to the above requirements, customers who want to implement Continuous Availability setups must:
- Follow industry recognized SDLC process
- Work closely with Teradata in an agile manner to provide access to Teradata responding to inquiries and providing maintenance, analysis, and incident troubleshooting.
- Partner with the following Teradata services:
- Teradata Professional Services for new and incremental implementation and configurations
- Teradata Managed Services for mandatory operational support and expert care
- Teradata Customer Support for SW installation and upgrades
- Partner with Teradata to perform changes to applications or infrastructure involved in a Continuous Availability setup
Teradata Data Mover and Teradata Unity enable Continuous Availability for Teradata Vantage and other recovery options and disaster recovery setups. They support multiple deployment options such as on-premises, public cloud, and private cloud (with hybrid cloud deployments also supported).
The deployment option for Data Mover and Unity is independent from the Vantage deployment option.
|Deployment Option||Platform||Data Mover||Unity|
|Public cloud||Azure DIY||Yes||Yes|
|Azure delivered aaS||Yes||No|
|AWS delivered aaS||Yes||No|
|GCP delivered aaS||Yes||No|
|Hybrid cloud||On-Premises + Private cloud||Yes||Yes|
|On-Premises + Public cloud||Yes||Yes|
- Teradata® Unity™ User Guide
- Teradata® Data Mover User Guide
- Teradata® Viewpoint User Guide
- Teradata® QueryGrid User Guide