All database requests are expressed in Teradata Structured Query Language (SQL). An SQL request contains one or more SQL statements. These statements enable users to perform actions against database objects such as:
- Define data – create and modify data structures.
- Select data – query a database.
- Manipulate data – insert, delete, and update data.
- Create SQL macros – store and execute sequences of statements as a single operation.
- Control data – define databases and users, establish privileges, and secure data.
BTEQ does not support embedded control characters within quoted strings for SQL requests. Examples of unsupported control characters include a null, carriage return, or line-feed character.