The following checklist helps to isolate and analyze Teradata TPump performance problems and their causes.
- Monitor the Teradata TPump job using the Monitor macros. Determine whether the job is making progress.
- Check for locks using the Vantage Showlocks utility. Transaction locks can be detected by checking for blocked Teradata utilities that use the performance monitor feature of Vantage (Teradata Manager).
- Check table DBC.Resusage for problem areas (for example, data bus capacity or CPU capacity at 100% for one or more processors).
- Avoid large error tables, if possible, because error processing is generally expensive.
- Verify that the primary index is unique. Nonunique primary indexes can cause severe Teradata TPump performance problems.