Vantage on AWS (DIY) offers many Vantage features including, but not limited to, those listed in this topic. Not all features listed below are included in all Vantage license tiers. Although the package is included, you still need to install and configure the Vantage AMI.
- Automatic indicates you do not have to install or configure the feature and can begin using it after deploying Vantage.
- Manual indicates you must install and configure the feature using the Vantage documentation, similar to an on-premises system.
The following table does not include Vantage features that are enabled by default and are automatically installed and configured, such as Fallback.
|Database Feature||Description||Enabled by Default||Installation and Configuration||Documentation|
|Block-Level Compression||Stores data blocks in compressed format to save storage space and improve performance.||Yes for EBS storage.||Automatic for EBS storage.||
|No for local storage.||Manual for local storage (not recommended).|
|Columnar||Provides the ability to partition a table or join index by column.||Yes||Automatic; must be configured.||
[Advanced, Enterprise tiers only]
|Speeds query performance and maximizes system memory by ensuring the most frequently used data is kept in memory.
All instance types that run Vantage support the minimum storage of 5 TiB per node.
|Row-Level Security||Allows you to restrict data access by row.||No1||Manual||
|Secure Zones||Provides grouping of user and database hierarchies into separate database partitions with restriction of user access to one or more zones.||No1||Manual||
|Temporal||Provides built-in capabilities that are required in a temporal database management system.||No1||Manual||Teradata Vantage™ - Temporal Table Support|
|Native Object storage||Enable search and query CSV, JSON, and Parquet format datasets located on external S3-compatible object storage platforms using standard Teradata SQL and APIs||Yes||Automatic||Teradata Vantage™ - Native Object Store Getting Started Guide|
1Can enable when deploying Vantage
2 To find an Orange Book, go to https://support.teradata.com, log in, and search for the book title.
Native Object Storage
Native Object Store (NOS) is a Vantage capability that enables Business Analysts, System Administrators, Data Scientists, and Database Administrators to use standard Teradata SQL and APIs to:
- Search and query CSV, JSON, and Parquet format datasets located on external S3-compatible object storage platforms.
- Write data stored on Vantage to external S3-compatible object storage platforms.
NOS enables you to do the following
- Analyze data stored on an external object store.
- Read data in CSV, JSON, or Parquet format stored on an external object store.
- Join or aggregate external data to relational data stored in Advanced SQL Engine
- Query cold data offloaded to an external object store.
- Load data from external object store into the database using one SQL request.
- Write Advanced SQL Engine data (from tables and derived results) to external object store.