The placement of the hardware components in a cabinet follows these general cabinet build conventions:
- All chassis are loaded, in sequence, from the bottom up.
- All chassis are loaded from the front of the cabinet, and accessible from both front and rear of the cabinet.
- AC boxes are mounted at the bottom of the cabinet.
- Each chassis has a standard position in the cabinet, and is numbered from the bottom up.
- Chassis can be managed or unmanaged.
- Chassis that are managed or monitored over the server management network have assigned chassis ID numbers. The chassis ID number identifies the chassis by position/type in the server management interface.
- Unmanaged chassis can be numbered by position for cabling purposes only. If numbered, the numbers do not appear in the server management interface as identification of the chassis.