The placement of the hardware components in a cabinet follows these general cabinet build conventions:
- Each chassis has a standard position in the cabinet, and is numbered from the bottom up.
- Chassis that are managed over the server management network have assigned chassis ID numbers. The chassis ID number identifies the chassis by position/type in the management interface.
- Unmanaged chassis are numbered by position for cabling purposes only. The numbers do not appear in the management interface as identification of the chassis.
- All chassis except the top Ethernet switches are loaded from the front of the cabinet, and accessible from both front and rear of the cabinet. The top Ethernet switches are loaded and accessible only from the rear of the cabinet.
- Any Model 750 node can be installed in place of any Model 720 SAS node in configurations for Dell R730 and Dell R730xd.