Teradata PT pipeline parallelism is achieved by connecting operator instances through data streams during a single job.
The following figure shows:
- An export operator on the left that extracts data from a data source and writes it to the data stream.
- A filter operator extracts data from the data stream, processes it, then writes it to another data stream.
- A load operator starts writing data to a target as soon as data is available from the data stream.
All three operators, each running its own process, can operate independently and concurrently.
As the figure shows, data sources and destinations for Teradata PT jobs can include:
- Databases (both relational and non-relational)
- Database servers
- Data storage devices, such as tapes or DVD readers
- File objects, such as images, pictures, voice, and text